- 2003: Dr. theol. (Ph.D.), systematic theology, Faculté Universitaire de Théologie Protestante de Bruxelles, Belgium
- 2000: D.E.S. (diplôme d’études supérieures), systematic theology, Faculté Universitaire de Théologie Protestante de Bruxelles, Belgium
- 1987: M.A., exegetical theology, Western Seminary, Portland, OR (USA).
- 1983: B.A., Christian thought, philosophy emphasis. Judson Baptist College, The Dalles, OR (USA)
- 1981: A.S., general studies/humanities, Judson Baptist College, Portland, OR (USA)
Academic positions and teaching experience
- 2013-present: Professor and Department Chair of Systematic Theology, ETF Leuven
- 2007-2013: Associate Professor and Department Chair of Systematic Theology, ETF Leuven
- 2000-2006: Lecturer/Assistant Professor of Systematic Theology, ETF Leuven
- 2014: Guest teacher, April 2014, Greek Bible College, Pikermi (Greece)
- 2000-2010: Adjunct faculty, systematic theology, Tyndale Theological Seminary, Badhoevedorp (NL)
- 2001: Invited guest professor, theology, missions, Imago Dei Institute-Cascade, Redmond, WA (USA)
- 1986-1989: Adjunct Instructor, Teaching Fellow, introductory philosophy, (dept. of systematic theology). Western Seminary, Portland, OR (USA)
- Society for the Study of Theology
- Fellowship of European Evangelical Theologians (FEET)
- American Academy of Religion (AAR)
- Postliberal Theology: A Guide for the Perplexed. London: T&T Clark International, 2013, 186 pp.
- With Patrick Nullens. The Matrix of Christian Ethics: Integrating Philosophy and Moral Theology in a Postmodern Context. Carlisle: Paternoster Publishing, 2010, 288 pp.
- Engaging Deconstructive Theology. Ashgate New Critical Thinking in Religion, Theology and Biblical Studies. Aldershot, U.K.: Ashgate Publishing Ltd, 2007, 264 pp.
- Opening the Doors for Dialogue: Apologetic Reflections in View of Postmodern Deconstructive Theology. Dr. theol. dissertation, Faculté Universitaire de Théologie Protestante de Bruxelles, 2003.
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- “Overview of Past and Ongoing Research in Systematic Theology at ETF Leuven.” In The Vitality of Evangelical Theology: Celebrating ETF Leuven at 40, edited by Andreas J. Beck, Jos de Kock, and Steven C. van den Heuvel, 133–46. Leuven: Peeters, 2022.
- “Navigating Theological and Ecclesiological Friction in the Church: Olli-Pekka Vainio’s Insights on Virtuous Disagreement.” Journal of Lutheran Ethics 22, no. 6 (2022).
- “Epilogue: Recent Developments in Philosophy of Religion in Postmodern Thought.” In The Rowman & Littlefield Handbook of Philosophy and Religion, edited by Mark A. Lamport, 393–400. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2022.
- “Controversial Truth: Exclusive Claims of Christianity Meet the Plurality of Postmodernism.” In The Rowman & Littlefield Handbook of Contemporary Christianity in the United States, edited by Mark A. Lamport and Emily S. Clark, 232–44. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2022.
- “Humanity and Worship.” In Theological Foundations of Worship: Biblical, Systematic, and Practical Perspectives, edited by Khalia Williams and Mark A. Lamport, 66–80. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2021.
- “Multi-Cultural Hospitality for the Church and Academy: Respectful Diversity and Humility.” In Off the Beaten Path: A Festschrift in Honor of Gie Vleugels, edited by Jacobus (Kobus) Kok and Martin Webber in collaboration with Jeremy D. Otten and Mark Paridaens, 200-208. Beiträge zum Verstehen der Bibel / Contributions to Understanding the Bible 48. Zürich: LIT, 2021.
- “De-weaponizing Images of Prayer.” Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology 39, no. 2 (2021): 131–46.
- With Roman Soloviy. “Unlikely Companions? Continental Philosophy for Eastern European Evangelical Theology.” Theological Reflections: Eastern European Journal of Theology 19, no. 2 (2021): 7–16.
- “Human Embodiment and Cancer Technology: Embracing a Theology of Weakness.” In Being Human in a Technological Age: Rethinking Theological Anthropology, edited by Steven C. van den Heuvel, 217–31. Christian Perspectives on Leadership and Social Ethics 7. Leuven: Peeters, 2020.
- “Post-Kantian to Postmodern Considerations of (Theological) Hope.” In Historical and Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Hope, edited by Steven C. van den Heuvel, 77–94. Cham: Springer Open, 2020.
- “The Heterogeneous Global Church and Intentional Hospitality to The Other.” Theological Reflections: Euro-Asian Journal of Theology 18, no. 2 (2020): 13–28.
- “George Lindbeck: Ecumenical Unity Through Ecclesial Particularity.” In Revising Orthodoxies: The History and Future of Ecumenical Theology, edited by Paul Silas Peterson, 57–77. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2020.
- “Reflections on Creation Care through Critical Appropriaton of Radical Orthodoxy.” European Journal of Theology 28, no. 1 (2019): 34–43.
- “A ‘Value’ Prolegemenon for Creation Care: Theological Appropriations from Marion and Levinas.” In Theological Ethics and Moral Value Phenomena, by Angela Roothaan, Patrick Nullens, and Steven C. Van den Heuvel, 147–63. New York: Routledge, 2018.
- “Theological Turns toward Theopoetic Sensibilities: Embodiment, Humility, and Hospitality.” Evangelical Quarterly 89, no. 1 (2018): 21–33.
- “Deconstructing Leadership and Authority: Modeling Through Weakness.” In The End of Leadership? Leadership and Authority at Crossroads, edited by Jack Barentsen, Steven C. Van den Heuvel, and Peirong Lin, 31–46. Christian Perspectives on Leadership and Social Ethics 4. Leuven: Peeters, 2017.
- “Losing Face in a Facebook Era: Levinasion Reflections on the Misplaced Authority of Social Media.” In Evangelicals and Sources of Authority, Essays Under the Auspices of the Center of Evangelical and Reformation Theology, edited by Miranda Klaver, Eveline Van Staalduine-Sulman, and Stefan Paas, 78–96. Amsterdam Studies in Theology and Religion 6. Amsterdam: VU University Press, 2016.
- “Modernism and Postmodernism”; “Lindbeck, George”; “Postliberal Theology/ Yale School”; and “Postmodern Theological Expressions.” In Encyclopedia of Christianity in the United States, edited by George Thomas Kurian and Mark A Lamport. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2016.
- “Kuyper, Abraham”; “Lewis, C.S.”; “Postmodernism” and “Christian Education, Postmodern.” In Encyclopedia of Christian Education. Edited by George Thomas Kurian and Mark A. Lamport. Encyclopedia of Christian Education. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2015.
- “Dutch Evangelical Trends and Their Significance: A Critical Review Article” (co-authored with Patrick Nullens). European Journal of Theology 23 (2014): 169-180.
- “Face-to-face with Levinas: (Ev)angelical hospitality and (De)constructive ethics?” European Journal of Theology 19 (2010), 153-162.
- “The ‘Facelessness’ of Facebook: A Few Lessons from Levinas.” Perspectives: A Journal of Reformed Thought (Nov. 2010), 11-13.
- “The Kingdom of God and Postmodern Ecclesiologies: A Compatibility Assessment.” Evangelical Review of Theology 34 (2010), 119-130.
- “Kingdom of God and Postmodern Theology: Friends or Foes.” In: T. J. Marinello and H. H. Drake Williams (ed.). My Brother’s Keeper: Essays in Honor of Ellis R. Brotzman. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock Publishers, 2010, 140-156. Previously published in Perichoresis 2 (2008), 219-239.
- “Knowledge, Theories of”. In: Ed Hindson and Ergun Caner (ed.). The Popular Encyclopedia of Apologetics. Surveying the Evidence for the Truth of Christianity. Eugene, OR: Harvest House Publishers, 2008.
- “Missionary ‘Teaching’ in a Postmodern Context: Mentoring by Learning and Teaching with Imagination.” Evangelical Missions Quarterly 41 (2005), 482-487.