- 2003: Dr. theol. (Ph.D.), systematic theology, Faculté Universitaire de Théologie Protestante de Bruxelles, Belgium
- 2000: D.E.S. (diplôme d’études supérieures), systematic theology, Faculté Universitaire de Théologie Protestante de Bruxelles, Belgium
- 1987: M.A., exegetical theology, Western Seminary, Portland, OR (USA).
- 1983: B.A., Christian thought, philosophy emphasis. Judson Baptist College, The Dalles, OR (USA)
- 1981: A.S., general studies/humanities, Judson Baptist College, Portland, OR (USA)
Academic positions and teaching experience
- 2013-: Professor of Systematic Theology, ETF Leuven
- 2007-2013: Associate Professor of Systematic Theology, ETF Leuven
- 2000-2006: Lecturer, Assistant Professor of Systematic Theology, ETF Leuven
- 2000-2010: Adjunct faculty, systematic theology, Tyndale Theological Seminary, Badhoevedorp (NL)
- 2001: Invited guest professor, theology, missions, Imago Dei Institute-Cascade, Redmond, WA (USA)
- 1986-1989: Adjunct Instructor, Teaching Fellow, introductory philosophy, (dept. of systematic theology). Western Seminary, Portland, OR (USA)
- Fellowship of European Evangelical Theologians (FEET)
- American Academy of Religion (AAR)
- Society of Christian Philosophers (SCP)
- Evangelical Theological Society (ETS)
Selected Bibliography (since 1995)
- Postliberal Theology: A Guide for the Perplexed. London: T&T Clark International, 2013, 186 pp.
- With Patrick Nullens. The Matrix of Christian Ethics: Integrating Philosophy and Moral Theology in a Postmodern Context. Carlisle: Paternoster Publishing, 2010, 288 pp.
- Engaging Deconstructive Theology. Ashgate New Critical Thinking in Religion, Theology and Biblical Studies. Aldershot, U.K.: Ashgate Publishing Ltd, 2007, 264 pp.
- Opening the Doors for Dialogue: Apologetic Reflections in View of Postmodern Deconstructive Theology. Dr. theol. dissertation, Faculté Universitaire de Théologie Protestante de Bruxelles, 2003.
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- “A ‘Value’ Prolegemenon for Creation Care: Theological Appropriations from Marion and Levinas.” In Angela Roothaan, Patrick Nullens, and Steven van den Heuvel, eds. Theological Ethics and Moral Value Phenomena (Abingdon, U.K.: Routledge, 2018), pp. 147-63.
- “Theological Turns toward Theopoetic Sensibilities: Embodiment, Humility, and Hospitality.” Evangelical Quarterly 89.1 (2018): 21-33.
- “Deconstructing Leadership and Authority: Modeling Through Weakness.” In The End of Leadership? Leadership and Authority at Crossroads, edited by Jack Barentsen, Steven C. Van den Heuvel, and Peirong Lin, 4:31–46. Christian Perspectives on Leadership and Social Ethics. Leuven: Peeters, 2017.
- “Losing Face in a Facebook Era: Levinasion Reflections on the Misplaced Authority of Social Media.” In Evangelicals and Sources of Authority, Essays Under the Auspices of the Center of Evangelical and Reformation Theology, edited by Miranda Klaver, Eveline Van Staalduine-Sulman, and Stefan Paas, 2:78–96. Amsterdam Studies in Theology and Religion. Amsterdam: VU University Press, 2016.
- “Modernism and Postmodernism.”; “Lindbeck, George.”; “Postliberal Theology/ Yale School.” and “Postmodern Theological Expressions.” In Encyclopedia of Christianity in the United States, edited by George Thomas Kurian and Mark A Lamport. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2016.
- “Kuyper, Abraham.”; “Lewis, C.S.”; “Postmodernism.” and “Christian Education, Postmodern.” In Encyclopedia of Christian Education. Edited by George Thomas Kurian and Mark A. Lamport. Encyclopedia of Christian Education. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2015.
- “Dutch Evangelical Trends and Their Significance: A Critical Review Article” (co-authored with Patrick Nullens) European Journal of Theology 23 (2014): 169-180.
- “Face-to-face with Levinas: (Ev)angelical hospitality and (De)constructive ethics?” European Journal of Theology 19 (2010), 153-162.
- “The ‘Facelessness’ of Facebook: A Few Lessons from Levinas.” Perspectives: A Journal of Reformed Thought (Nov. 2010), 11-13.
- “The Kingdom of God and Postmodern Ecclesiologies: A Compatibility Assessment.” Evangelical Review of Theology 34 (2010), 119-130.
- “Kingdom of God and Postmodern Theology: Friends or Foes.” In: T. J. Marinello and H. H. Drake Williams (ed.). My Brother’s Keeper: Essays in Honor of Ellis R. Brotzman. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock Publishers, 2010, 140-156. Previously published in Perichoresis 2 (2008), 219-239.
- “Knowledge, Theories of”. In: Ed Hindson and Ergun Caner (ed.). The Popular Encyclopedia of Apologetics. Surveying the Evidence for the Truth of Christianity. Eugene, OR: Harvest House Publishers, 2008.
- “Missionary ‘Teaching’ in a Postmodern Context: Mentoring by Learning and Teaching with Imagination.” Evangelical Missions Quarterly 41 (2005), 482-487.
- Review of What does it Mean to be Catholic? (Grand Rapids, IL: Eerdmans, 2015), by Jack Mulder Jr. Evangelical Review of Theology 41, no. 3 (2017): 369–71.
- Review of The Christian Faith: A Creedal Account, by Hans Schwarz. The Westminster Theological Journal 78, no. 1 (2016): 190–93.
- Review of Theology and the End of Doctrine, by Christine Helmer. Westminster Theological Journal 77, no. 2 (2015): 429–31.
- Review of Knowledge and Christian Belief, by Alvin Plantinga. Theological Book Review 26, no. 2 (2015): 21–22.
- Michener, Ronald T. Review of Between the Image and the Word: Theological Engagements with Imagination, Language and Literature, by Trevor Hart. Theological Book Review 25, no. 2 (2013): 38.
- Review of The Mystery of God: Theology for Knowing the Unknowable, by Stephen D. Boyer and Christopher A. Hall. The Westminster Theological Journal 75, no. 1 (2013): 210–12.
Review of From Pentecost to the Triune God: A Pentecostal Trinitarian Theology, by Studebaker Steven M. One in Christ 47, no. 2 (2013): 356–59.
Review of Hope in an Age of Despair: The Gospel and the Future of life on Earth, by Jonathan Moo and Robert White. Theological Book Review 25, no. 2 (2013): 62–63.
Review of Saving Face: Enfacement, Shame, Theology. Explorations in Practical, Pastoral and Empirical Theology, by Stephen Pattison. Theological Book Review 25, no. 2 (2013): 81.
- Review of Philip Clayton, Transforming Christian Theology: For Church and Society. Themelios 37.2 (2012): 360-62.
- Review of Christian Smith, The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scripture. European Journal of Theology 21.2 (October 2012): 172-174.
- Review of: Christopher J. H. Wright, The God I Don’t Understand: Reflections on Tough Questions of Faith. Currents in Theology and Mission (October 1), 2009.
- Review of Douglas Groothuis, Truth Decay: Defending Christianity against the Challenges of Postmodernism. Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 48 (2005), 659-661.
- Review of: R. Douglas Geivett and Gary R. Habermas, eds., Defense of Miracles: A Comprehensive Case for God’s Action in History. Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 43 (2000): 738-740.