- 2016: Ph.D. in Biblical and Theological Studies (New Testament), Wheaton College Graduate School, Wheaton, IL, USA
- 2010: M.Div. in Pastoral Care (magna cum laude), Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, IL, USA
- 2004: B.A. in English Writing and Biblical Literature (magna cum laude), Taylor University, Upland, IN, USA
Academic Positions and Teaching Experience
- 2018-: Senior Researcher in New Testament, ETF Leuven
- 2014: Guest Lecturer, Christ Bible Seminary, Nagoya, Japan
- 2012-2017: Adjunct Professor, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL
- 2008-2010: New Testament Fellow – Teaching NT Greek at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, IL
- The Society of Biblical Literature
- The Evangelical Theological Society
- Otten, Jeremy. “I Alone Am Left: The Elijah Motif and the Remnant in Luke-Acts.” Ph.D. Dissertation, Wheaton College Graduate School, 2017.
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
“The Bad Samaritans: The Elijah Motif in Luke 9:51–56.” Journal for the Study of the New Testament 42, no. 3 (2020): 375–89. https://doi.org/10.1177/0142064X19890505.
- “Malachi.” In Discovering the Septuagint: A Guided Reader, edited by Karen H. Jobes, 263–300. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel, 2016.
- “Mount Carmel,” “Porcius Festus,” “Sapphira,” “Symmachus,” “Testimonia,” and “Zarephath.” Edited by John D. Barry. Lexham Bible Dictionary. Lexham Press, 2016.
- Review of Captive to the Word of God by Miroslav Volf. Trinity Journal 33, no. 2 (2012): 317–18.
- Review of Practice Resurrection: A Conversation on Growing up in Christ, edited by Eugene H. Peterson. Trinity Journal 32, no. 1 (2011): 124–25.
- “’Jesus Was Found Alone’: Luke’s Remnant Christology in the Transfiguration Narrative (Luke 9:28),” ETS Annual Meeting, San Diego (20 November 2019)
- “From Widows to Windows: Luke’s Use of Repetition and Redundancy in Echoes of 1 Kgs 17:8–24,” SBL International Meeting, Rome (2 July 2019)
- “The Elijah Motif in Luke-Acts,” ETF Doctoral Colloquium, ETF Leuven (6 Sept. 2018)
- “The Bad Samaritans,” Wheaton Academic Poster Seminar, Wheaton (3 April 2015)
- “The Bad Samaritans: The Elijah Motif in Luke 9:51–56” SBL Annual Conference, Atlanta (22 November 2015)
- “Lo, I Will Send You the Prophet Elijah: Elijah and the Remnant in the Book of the Twelve,”
ETS Annual Meeting (November 2015)
- “Eating Bread in the Kingdom of God: The Miracle of the Loaves in Luke” SBL Annual Conference (November 2014)
- “What Do the Scribes Say? Or: Elijah’s on First, but What’s on Second?” ETS Annual Conference (November 2014)
- “Does Being Left Make You Right? Application and Integration of Remnant Theology in the Evangelical Church,” Colloquium on Theological Integration, Wheaton College Graduate School (Spring 2014)
- “Is There Relevance to This Text? Relevance Theory as a Model for Biblical Interpretation”
Doctoral Seminar, Wheaton College Graduate School (Fall 2012)